Monday, February 9, 2015

Easy Meal Prep for a Busy Mom

Thanks to my personal trainer brother, Taylor, I have discovered the importance of meal prep. I am in the process of making a lifestyle change when it comes to food and meal prep is the key to my success!

Meal prep makes my life so much easier! I prepare food every Sunday for the following week. I make my breakfast and lunch for the week. I prepare dinner each night after I get home from work. I knew going into this meal prep adventure that I would need something quick and easy because I wasn't willing to give up the three to four hours people typically spend on meal prep.

Before reading on, it is important for me to mention that I don't mind eating the same thing each day. Actually, eating the same thing keeps me on track! The variety comes into play during dinner and that works for me.

Breakfast is my favorite meal! Before this journey began I rarely ate breakfast which led to me being starving later in the day. My favorite item to make for breakfast is egg muffins. I love these because I can make 12 (or more) at a time and that lasts me all week. My nearly two year old son also loves them. I simply make them on Sunday and store them in the fridge in an air tight container. Each morning I pop two into the microwave for about 30 seconds and I'm good to go.

Ingredients:

Turkey sausage
Eggs
Egg whites
Spinach
Shredded Cheese
Onion Flakes

I begin by browning turkey sausage. Once done, I divide the turkey sausage evenly between each of the 12 "muffins". Next, I combine 5 whole eggs, about a cup and a half of liquid egg whites, and pepper to taste. I evenly pour the egg mixture into the muffin tin. I also add shredded cheese, a few onion flakes and shredded spinach to each muffin. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Next up is lunch prep. While the egg muffins are baking, I get busy making my lunches for the week. My lunch of choice is turkey burgers and broccoli. These are simple, quick, and delicious. 

Ingredients

1 lb. lean ground turkey
Oregano
Minced Garlic
Ranch Dressing Seasoning 

Mix the pound on turkey, seven shakes of oregano, seven shakes of minced garlic and the packet of ranch dressing seasoning. Divide the mixture into fourths and form four patties. I use my George Foreman grill and cook all four patties at the same time in about 15 minutes. These are seriously delicious! 

While the turkey burgers are cooking I steam one bag of Steamfresh broccoli and divide the broccoli among my four containers. Voila! Four lunches are complete in about 20 minutes! 


You may be wondering why I only prep four lunches. I do this because I tend to have leftovers from at least one dinner. I use those leftovers for lunch on the following day. Along with breakfast and lunch, I pack a few healthy snacks for between meals such as an apple, orange, and nuts. 

All in all my weekly meal prep takes about 45 minutes, including clean up! I can give up 45 minutes of my Sunday to ensure that I make healthy choices throughout the week. If you haven't tried meal prep, I would highly recommend it! If you already meal prep, what are your favorite meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment